The history of Megève
The village becomes known as a ski resort in the 1910s when the Rothschild family decides to find an alternative to Saint-Moritz in Switzerland. The name Megève, originally Médzève in the local Savoie dialect, means Medz habitation and ève water. It refers to the strategic position of the village, close to Arbon and the Arly, or at the intersection of the two streams that form the Arly, the Glapet and the Planay.
Today Megève and its 450 km of skiing has an international reputation and welcomes many different events throughout the year.
Numerous personalities are associated with the village:
- Edmond de Rothschild 1926-1997, son of Noémie de Rothschild, establishes Megève in the 1920s.
He contributes to the development of Mont d’Arbois.
- Nadine de Rothschild, his wife, manages le Chalet du Mont d’Arbois.
- Henry Jacques Le Même, architect 1925-1985, designs numerous Chalet, hotels and inns.
- Georges Gimel 1934-1962, artist and painter, author of numerous frescos and enamels, including the Stations of the Cross.
- Emile Allais, ski champion who participated in many of the first competitions that took place between the wars, beside that other young champion, James Couttet.
- The Duvillard family, ski champions all of them, from the 1960s through to the 21st century: Adrien Sr, Georges, Henri and Adrien Jr.